August is the time to trade swimsuits for backpacks but it also marks the start of another important transition: National Immunization Awareness Month.
National Immunization Awareness Month (NIAM) is dedicated to educating the public with factual vaccine information. One month dedicated to protecting peoples’ health and making sure parents send a healthy child back into the classroom.
I Vaccinate is here to spread that message year-round. We provide information and tools based on real medical science and research specific to Michigan to help parents understand the importance of vaccines and guide them through the process.
IS YOUR CHILD UP TO DATE?
Whenever children are brought into group settings, there is a chance for diseases to spread. That is why children must follow state vaccine laws to attend school. These laws are the minimum standard to help prevent disease outbreaks in school settings. The best way to protect your child from other serious diseases is to follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended vaccination schedule.
- Click here to learn more about required vaccines for child care and preschool.
- Click here to learn more about required vaccines for school entry in Michigan.
DON’T PASS ON VACCINES. SEND THEM BACK PROTECTED
Sending your kid back to school is tough – how are they another year older already? Sending them back safe from vaccine-preventable diseases gives you one less thing to worry about. When you choose to vaccinate, you’re not only protecting your child, but all the children in your community thanks to a concept known called “community immunity.” When 90-95 percent of a community is protected, it is nearly impossible for a vaccine-preventable disease to spread.
Talk to your child’s doctor to make sure they’re up to date on their vaccinations and that they are on schedule.
SHARE YOUR STORY DURING NIAM
How can you help spread the word about protecting Michigan children from vaccine preventable-diseases? Here are two quick ways:
- Update your Facebook profile picture! Show your pride and tell your story by swapping out your profile photo to let your friends, family and neighbors know why you choose to vaccinate your child.
- Share your vaccination story with #IVaccinate on social media.
We want to hear your story.
It’s easy to participate! Just follow these three simple steps:
- Fill in the blank! Include the hashtags #IVaccinate and #NIAM2017 when you share why you choose to vaccinate to join the national conversation about protecting your child from vaccine-preventable diseases.
#IVaccinate because ______________ #NIAM2017
- Include a fun photo of your child or something else that symbolizes why you vaccinate.
- Post your story on social media like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram – and encourage your friends, family and neighbors to do the same!